Parents and Citizens’ Associations are established under the Education Act of WA for the purpose of supporting a strong government school system for the benefit of all students.
The Parents and Citizens’ Association has been formed to support the school to achieve the Aims and Objectives of the school. The P & C Association operates the School Canteen, which not only provides a service to the school, but also is a source of funds, which are used to buy additional resources for the school.
P & C Fundraising events provide funds to buy resources for the educational programmes and to make improvements around the school.
In addition to fundraising, the P & C provides necessary assistance such as busy bees for grounds development, assistance in the Library and in classrooms. This additional assistance, in its various forms, provided by the Parents and Citizens’, is essential in a school such as ours. The Principal is an ex-officio member of the P & C Committee.
The functions of the P & C are to:
- Represent parents/community on the School Council. Where a P & C exists in a school the representatives are elected by and from the financial members of the P & C.
- Parent representatives take the view of the parent body to the School Council and report back to the P & C.
- Encourage parents to participate in developing the school’s educational policy.
- Develop parent participation and involvement in the school.
- Be the forum for parents to discuss issues pertaining to the school and its community and for gathering opinion.
- Promote and support communication and co-operation within the school community and to bring educational matters to the attention of the wider community.
- Provide amenities and resources for the benefit of the school students.
All parents are invited to attend Parents & Citizens’ Association’s monthly meetings and take part in any of the activities organised by this group. Dates are published on the calendar. New parents are especially welcome to attend the meetings and volunteer to help in any way.